By Stephen Leatherwood, William E. Evans (auth.), Howard E. Winn, Bori L. Olla (eds.)
Four years in the past we begun soliciting articles for this quantity from authors who have been engaged in entire study on whales. From the outset we made up our minds to not restrict the subject material to behaviour yet to additionally comprise usual background. a lot of what's recognized concerning the habit of whales arose from experiences whose primary target was once no longer habit, a lot because it did for different animal teams ahead of habit was once thought of a unique self-discipline. therefore in lots of of the articles habit is heavily intertwined with average background and in others is totally overshadowed through a uncomplicated traditional background method. Our target was once to have the articles include a evaluate of the literature and contain examine findings now not formerly released. For all intents and reasons this objective has been learned, albeit might be now not in as balanced a way when it comes to species or material as used to be initially deliberate. however, we think the articles current quite a lot of informative works with a myriad of techniques and methods represented. we're thankful to the individuals for his or her endurance and figuring out in expecting booklet, which has taken for much longer than we initially anticipated. we're additionally thankful tor the help of a couple of humans, in particular Julie Fischer and Lois Winn for his or her editorial efforts, and Jill Grover, Carol Samet, and Lois Winn for his or her assist in indexing.
Read Online or Download Behavior of Marine Animals: Current Perspectives in Research PDF
Similar research books
Protein-protein interactions are excited about muscle contraction and sign transduction. This publication describes how artificial peptides can be used, very similar to antibodies, either as particular inhibitors and as molecular probes to discover the cognitive interfaces among interacting proteins and their useful importance.
The developments in micro- and nano-fabrication concepts, particularly within the final couple of many years, have led study groups, over the realm, to speculate unparalleled degrees of realization at the technological know-how and know-how of micro- and nano-scale units and the involved purposes. With an severe specialize in micro- and nanotechnology from a fluidic point of view, Microfluidics and Microscale shipping techniques presents a wide evaluate of advances during this box.
The way forward for academic examine: views from starting Researchers presents a photo of analysis throughout a range of fields in schooling carried out by way of starting researchers. The 5 major sections of the ebook conceal study into coverage and curriculum, lecturers' stories, academic applied sciences, the instructing and studying of arithmetic, and literacy improvement.
"This is a must-read for each scholar, lecturer and professor. It establishes web stories as necessary to an figuring out of the way rookies and educators can seize the price of our networked global. "
Professor William H. Dutton, Director of the Oxford net Institute, collage of Oxford
In E-learning conception and perform the authors set out diverse views on e-learning. The publication offers with the social implications of e-learning, its transformative results, and the social and technical interaction that
supports and directs e-learning.
The authors current new views at the topic by:
- exploring the best way educating and studying are altering with the presence of the web and participatory media
- supplying a theoretical grounding in new studying practices from schooling, communique and data science
- addressing e-learning by way of latest studying theories, rising on-line studying theories, new literacies, social networks, social worlds, group and digital groups, and on-line resources
- emphasising the impression of daily digital practices on studying, literacy and the study room, in the community and globally.
This ebook is for everybody excited about e-learning. lecturers and educators will achieve an knowing of latest studying practices, and novices will achieve a feeling in their new position as energetic members in school room and lifetime studying. Graduate scholars and researchers will achieve perception into the course of analysis during this new and intriguing quarter of schooling and the net.
- Researching Language in Schools and Communities: Functional Linguistic Perspectives (Continuum Collection)
- Drugs as Tools in Neurotransmitter Research
- Timor-Leste: Transforming Education through Partnership in a Small Post-Conflict State
- Operations Research and Environmental Management
- Transparency for Sustainability in the Food Chain. Challenges and Research Needs EFFo: ST Critical Reviews #2
Additional resources for Behavior of Marine Animals: Current Perspectives in Research
1976, Whales in the Gulf of Maine: 1975. Report of the Gulf of Maine Whale Sighting Network, College of the Atlantic, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609, 45 pp. Katona, S. , Richardson, D. , College of the Atlantic, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609. , 1929, What is known of the migrations of some of the whalebone whales, Annu. Rep. Smithsonian Inst. 1928(Publ. 2981): 467-494. , and Katona, S. ), 1977, Humpback Whales in the Western North Atlantic. A Catalogue of Identified Individuals, College of the Atlantic, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609.
Copies of that catalog have been deposited in libraries of selected museums, universities, and aquariums throughout the general western North Atlantic range of the humpback. This paper is intended to be a summary of the techniques we are using and of our initial results. Since this is a continuing project, new information is accumulating which cannot be detailed here. However, it is interesting to note several recent results. During the summer of 1977, we rephotographed five individuals which were previously photographed in the Gulf of Maine during 1976.
10. Average diving time of two radio tagged S. attenuata as a function of time of day. \ N o o o - • o o N • N o o N N M o o 0 ~ -1 - 0 0 0 • • - Radiotelemetry in Field Studies of Cetaceans Fig. 11. Two-channel instrumentation package used to track a yearling California gray whale. 25 26 , Stephen Leatherwood and WilHam E. Evans Fig. 12. A time·release instrumentation package designed for use on a pilot whale. the package to be snugged Up. The release pin is the bolt in the center of the belly attachment plate.